FRIENDSHIP

Sunday, November 24

There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate. ― Linda Grayson
 
My friend Ahna came in from San Francisco this weekend. Since meeting the first week of freshman year at Georgetown we've been great friends -- dancing on tables and wreaking havoc across the country. She is hilarious and wacky and outgoing and flirty. She has an eye for all things beautiful and I'm so excited to see where her path takes her. 


It's been hard to be so far away from my closest friends since moving to Chicago. Most of them are back in California, but they are also scattered around the country and the world -- New York, Boston, Florida, London, Paris. I was SO excited to be able to share with Ahna a city I've come to love and the special spots that make me feel at home. It was also really special to be able to introduce her to my three roommates, who have become close friends, and friends from Second Cit

An awesome mixture of old and new. It's like the grown-up show and tell.


This weekend has been such a whirlwind, but we essentially ate and drank our way through Chicago starting with Spanish tapas, sangria, and paella from Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba on Thursday night. The reviews on Yelp likened the sangria to crack, so obviously we had to give it a try. It was delicious.

While I worked during the day on Friday, Ahna took to the streets and explored Chicago on her own -- Art Institute, architecture boat tour, hot dogs, Oh My! After an audition at Second City on Friday night, we headed next door with friends to Adobo Grill for tableside guacamole and margaritas.
After dinner we went to the Improvised Shakespeare show at iO in Wrigleyville which is always amazing. Seriously. They get a title suggestion from the audience and then improvise an entire 90-minute Shakespeare-esque show. Sometimes it seems too good to be true. But it is! Which makes it all the better. 


That night we hit the town over in Old Town -- going to some favorites, Benchmark, Old Town Pour House, and the after-hours dance bar Beaumont. I loved seeing Ahna getting along with all of my new friends. It was a very special night. 


Saturday saw hair appointments, deep dish pizza, and Wicker Park shenanigans. For my hair appointment I had bought a deal on Groupon to Aquarium Salon. I am one of the most low-maintenance people when it comes to hair (throw it up in a bun, is one of my life mottos), but it had gone too far. It was time to break out the scissors and bleach. My hair dresser was sassy, and the woman behind me was getting her cornrowed weave dyed blue. I felt I was in good hands. Turned out pretty good if I say so myself. 

No orange, no tiger streaks, no bob. Mission Accomplished.


Post-hair appointments we gorged ourselves on Pequod's Pizza -- sausage, onions, garlic pan pizza. It was unreal. The final slice is wrapped up and siren calling out to me from the fridge. Not sure how much longer I can hold out....


Saturday night we headed over to Wicker Park donning our special hipster outfits (beanies! booties! messy hair!). Margaritas and bean-queso dip at Big Star, and then glasses of red wine over at The Violet Hour, which by the way included over a half hour wait outside in the 15 degree temperature. Brrrrrrr! Worth it? Ehh.....


This morning we ventured back out to Wicker Park for brunch and window shopping. Brunch was at The Bongo Room. We ordered a Chocolate Tower French Toast to split and our minds were blown. Blown into a heavenly mix of chocolate, bananas, and all things beautiful. I'm currently laying on my bed still waiting for it to digest...


And then it was time to say goodbyes. And see you laters. And until next times. 




No comments :

Post a Comment