A VERY MERRY EVE

Tuesday, December 24


First of all, I'm sorry it's been awhile. It's been a complete whirlwind these past couple of days and I've wanted to focus all of my energies on the loved ones around me. I'm out in Johnstown, Pennsylvania right now at my grandmother's house along with my mom, sister {recently back from her grad program in London}, grandmother, aunts and uncles and cousins and pups. T drove out with me on Saturday but flew back to LA to celebrate Christmas with his family and will fly back to Pennsylvania on Friday. Our days have been filled with crafting, shopping, sweets, and corny but loveable Christmas movies.

These last couple of days I've found myself forgetting about what Christmas really means. I've become a complete and total pawn of the consumer world. It honestly seems like I've done more interaction with my credit card than with people. And I've been surrounded by family. It wasn't until tonight's church service though that I forced myself to take a much needed step back, and a deep breath, to remind myself of the true meaning of Christmas.

The word gave life to everything that was created,
and his life brought light to everyone.
The light shines in the darkness,
and the darkness can never extinguish it. 
JOHN 1:4-5 (NLT)

The pastor ended the sermon with a call to all of us to allow the light and the pure joy of Jesus to fill every part of our being. Even those parts that we keep hidden, the ones that fill with white noise during the day, that feel lonely at night, that believe they're unworthy, that mourn even while singing out "Alleluia".

So that's how I'm going to leave you on this quiet Christmas Eve. It's time to open ourselves completely without any hesitations or off limits or gray areas or buts. The light cannot come in if there's no room. Make room. Let the light come in. 

{A picture with doors wide open would be much more fitting for this post, but I just love church doors especially when they're decked out for Christmas}

And on that note, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT!

No comments :

Post a Comment