AN ADVENTURE JOURNAL

Tuesday, January 14


Alright, so this is far from as cool as the adventure journal in 'Up', but this little baby has seen T and me through so many adventures and I love it. Let's start with the fact that I'm a serious memento hoarder {tickets, cards, receipts, stubs, flowers, and on and on} and wanted a way I could keep my mementos without continuing to stockpile them in random boxes left in larger random cardboard boxes in storage units strewn across the country. Also, being in a long distance relationship sucks and I wanted to create a record of the adventures we go on and the special moments we share during our weekends spent together so I can come back to them when I'm feeling particularly sucky about the distance.


Seeing as though Paper Source is one of my all-time favorite stores {Michael's is up there too, they just put me in the best mood until I check my credit card statements later}, I found this gem of a journal there -- it's simple and gorgeous and exactly what I wanted. I form date headers by cutting out small pieces of navy letter paper and writing with a gold calligraphy pen {I bought one by accident and love it even though I have no idea how to write calligraphy... it's exciting because you never know whether the letter you write will be thick or thin depending on how you position the tip... oh the joys in life!}. And then there's the glue stick. So messy but it's easy. And I think part of me is definitely still in kindergarten, so even though I'm still using a glue stick at least I now use grown-up scissors. 

Some days I make it look all pretty -- date headers, witty remarks, cut on the lines -- and then sometimes when my bag of mementos begins overfilling and I can't seem to remember every dinner or every car ride and my heart turns toward anxiety every time I think of the journal I just glue it all in to start fresh. I kinda like both entries. The structured and the maddened.


Now for the collecting. I collect everything. I think it's that I'm terrified of forgetting moments. I never want to forget the late night Chinese takeout we ate together in my apartment {so I keep the chopsticks wrappers and fortune cookie fortunes} or the Improvised Shakespeare show at iO that we trudged through blizzard weather to get to {so I keep the ticket stub and drink receipt}. I've done it forever, but before I met T it was relegated to movie and theater tickets, show playbills, and cards. Maybe I'm even more terrified now that I'm in a relationship about forgetting or losing memories. About having life pass me by.

And so I collect. And I record.


17 comments :

  1. This is seriously the most precious and adorable idea I've ever seen. I am also a hoarder of memories, which is why blogging appealed to me to begin with. I love love love your adventure journal, and I am inspired to create something similar of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! And you should do your own!

      Delete
  2. I wish I'd done this when my boyfriend and I started dating- what a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea--it's adorable and so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable idea!!!!! I love your blog
    Would you like to follow each other on BLOGLOVIN?
    Kisses
    The Indian Savage Diary

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sweet! I love it! I have a box of stuff from my husband and I's first few years of dating that is so special to me. I never thought of putting it in a book like this! And I love finding other Chicagoans on here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! And loved your blog too!

      Delete
  6. I love this idea I think i may do one now ! =) scrapbooking is just too much of a process !
    stop by my page @Simply Sutter

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should! I'm not type A enough to be a scrapbooker, so this is easy enough for even me! Also loved your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks girl ! i grabbed a button btw !
      luvz ur blog buddy
      m

      Delete
  8. Aww. This is so beautiful and sweet. I'm in a LDR, too. I need to make one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah I am obsessed. I always save items and then end up throwing them away because I have nothing to do with them and am too dang lazy to put something this spectacular together (kicks self).

    ReplyDelete
  10. this result is simply stunnig
    btw the notebook is absolutely fab

    http://www.malesclutch.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love collecting things like this! What a great way to keep them in a fun place! Just perfect :)
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete