JUST KEEP WALKING

Monday, February 10

 

To start off, I have zero idea whether the top image is true or not. But let's pretend it is.  

There's something incredibly awesome about walking. A lot of people say the same thing about running, but running scares me. I think it's my inner theater kid screaming in protest. When I run I spend the entire time fixated on how awkward I must look, how much my boobs are bouncing, at what point I can take a break. And I don't wonder about the break aspect for very long. Let's just say running endurance is not one of my talents. Neither is running past a bench and not sitting down. 

So let's ditch running and come back to walking. Even if I'm having the worst of awful days all it takes is a short {or preferably long} walk for me to start viewing my day in a different light. I think it's the mixture of the fresh air, the sense of forward motion, new sights, it being entirely free, and just the feeling of muscles working. I'm able to think when I walk. Think about things I've put off, things that scare me or stress me out. Things that are too easy to ignore when I'm sitting on the couch transfixed by both the television and the game of sudoku I'm playing simultaneously on my phone. The fresh air removes all stagnation. The sun hitting my face reminds me of warmer days. Seeing my breath in the cold air reminds me that I'm alive when my days start blurring together.

I've started walking as much as possible lately. I chose not to renew my ventra {Chicago public transit} card and have been pushing myself to walk everywhere, even with the temperature hitting the negatives. I love it. 

10 comments :

  1. hi , i really like your blog.
    I just nominated you for a liebster blog award.
    check it out here - http://justjulzblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/liebster-blog-award.html
    j :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! So sweet of you. I actually have been nominated before so am going to pass on this round but I'm excited to look up the other bloggers you nominated.

      Delete
  2. It really wouldn't surprise me to find out that image was true! Makes me wish it wasn't so cold here so I could go out and talk a walk right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha right?? I've actually been walking in the freezing cold lately and now have the worst cold. Definitely some regrets here..

      Delete
  3. Walking has great benefits! I learned all about them in my health classes. Who would of ever thought something seemingly insignificant really can make a large difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And I hate just sitting around.

      Delete
  4. While I myself prefer running (it's not for everyone) I appreciate a nice walk. I like to go with my husband and take the dogs for a stroll regularly. Being outside in the fresh air (when it's not freezing) almost always puts me in a good mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw love that! I want a dog so badly but just don't have enough time/resources right now to take care of one.

      Delete
  5. I wish it wasn't so cold! I love walking. Covered in ice here so no walking for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you---even if that photo isn't true...let's pretend it is! I am on "Winter Break" now, and actually just took my dog for a walk. I already feel so much better, and ready to take on the day! :)

    ReplyDelete