WHY WE WORK

Friday, February 14

Happy valentine's day! I'm a huge proponent of valentine's day. It might be my sweet tooth talking or my not so secret love affair with pinks and reds, but I can't get enough. I was the annoying kid who spent hours making valentine's day cards for everyone in my class and then was subsequently devastated to find only two in my cubby. Shattered dreams hit hard at age thirteen. Even being single up until age 20 {why hello there mr. T}, I killed valentine's days. Killed them. What are my favorite valentine's day treats you may ask? Dark chocolate, starbursts, icecream lots of icecream, PIE, sugar cookies, snickerdoodles, peanut butter cookies, peanut butter chunk brownies, dark chocolate covered strawberries, PIE, sour straws, nom nom nom nom nom. T came in last night from ann arbor to see my show at second city and had to go in to work today at his chicago office and I made him promise to bring me back any valentine's day treats that were at the office. Pinky swear promise.

In honor of all things mushy and gushy about this little holiday of ours, I'm linking up with Taylor over at The Daily Tay and Bonnie at The Life of Bon and writing a post on 'Why We Work'.


We work because he cooks and I stir. And when I try to cook and he's not there he'll talk me through all the steps on the phone without ever getting impatient or frustrated. Even when I'm asking him how small to 'mince' the garlic when he's watching a basketball game with his friends. And he hates that I get sketchy frozen meals from aldi's but will only say so once. And we make each other laugh. Like hard, unattractive, body shaking laughter. And he doesn't say anything when my legs are unshaved, but is always quick to compliment me when they're nice and smooth. And we both like his face stubble. And he comes to all of my improv shows and waits for me after with a huge hug and a kiss, telling me I did great, regardless of how I actually did. And he's sporty and I'm artsy, but he knows this is kind of a lie because I'm secretly crazy competitive in sports when I know I have a shot of winning. And we go to so so many shows together which I love, and he's starting to love too. And we love food and trying new restaurants and going back to old favorites. We have a deep obsession with quality steak nachoes, deep dish pizza, pho, reubens, burgers, curry, sushi, and guacamole. We most always opt for an appetizer rather than a dessert. Unless it's fried ice cream, mango sticky rice, or churros.


We work because we both have traveling hearts -- we want to go everywhere and anywhere, up and down, east and west and north and south. And he loves Kenny G and I love musical soundtracks. And he brings flowers and I make cards. And whenever we're together we brush our teeth together, him standing behind me with me in his arms. He always ends up dribbling a little toothpaste on my head, but I don't mind. And when I'm stressed he brings me ice water. And he always sleeps on the side of the bed closest to the door, and on busy streets when we're walking hand in hand he walks closest to the cars. And when we go iceskating he goes fast and holds my hand so that I whip around the rink with him, faster and faster and faster. And he believes in my dreams and I believe in his dreams, even when we forget to believe in our own. And when we're older we both want to open a restaurant that specializes in reubens and craft beers and is situated in a little ski town. And that little restaurant will host open mics and film screenings. And next door to that little restaurant will be a small, beautiful inn, also owned by yours truly. And he says that he'll do community theater when he's older. And we work because we're both dreamers.

Happy valentine's day trevor :)


17 comments :

  1. This post and the two of your are so adorable! Happy Valentine's to you and T!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Looks like you had such a great Valentine's too! Love how it's also your move-in anniversary!

      Delete
  2. I love this! You two sound great together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable. You guys sound like the cutest! I just want to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one thousand percent opposite from my relationship. But I still loved reading about it!! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what's the best about relationships! It's so different for each couple!

      Delete
  5. Wow - you guys are adorable! It really is all those little things in a day that whisper "you are the one for me," huh?

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! Definitely agree about all those little things adding up together!

      Delete
  6. This is an awesome post!! You guys are too cute! Although I have to admit I probably wouldn't love the toothpaste in my hair ;) lol! Still super sweet though ;)
    I hope all your dreams come true, you two dreamers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok. I LOVED this. As I kept reading I was just sitting here smiling because it's so sweet, and I can feel the love coming through. What a great tribute to your love on Valentine's Day. Going to go do a little more blog snooping! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw so happy you loved it! I loved writing it.

      Delete
  8. Love love this post! Wonderful descriptions that make me sigh and nod my head about my own spouse. Love your pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see that food is a vital part of your relationship too. ;)

    I always painstakingly handmade valentines for my classmates in elementary school. Of course, if you gave out valentines at that age, you gave them to the whole class, so I received them back. But mine were always the most creative, IMHO!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You two are adorable! ;-) And I am a HUGE fan of "couples who travel together, stay together!" If you can travel together (and not kill each other) you will stay together FOREVER! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww. This is wonderful! You two are so cute! The toothpaste made me LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. stop this right now. This post was adorable! Now I am the happy one to have found your blog:)

    xx Laur

    ReplyDelete